Peabody Magnet High School
Peabody Magnet High School has a long, storied history and proud tradition in Alexandria education, dating back to 1895, and a strong alumni base in Alexandria and across the nation.
The school, located at 2727 Jones Avenue, is named after George Foster Peabody.
Before desegregation, Peabody was the only high school available for African American students in Alexandria and Pineville across the Red River.
Mr. J. B. Lafargue founded Peabody Industrial School in 1895 with the assistance of his wife, Mrs. S.C.B. Mayo Lafargue. Peabody was the only public school for black students in Alexandria with grades 1 - 7. The school was named Peabody because of a grant given by Mr. George Peabody of the George Peabody Foundation.
Warhorse Yearbook, 1980
The first school was a wooden two-story hospital building located at Third and Bogan Streets. Construction of a three-story building began in 1923 and was completed in 1925. Peabody became a state-approved public high school in 1933.
In later years the school was renamed Peabody Magnet High School and attracted students from around the Alexandria area with wide-ranging academic offerings.
On November 3, 1998, voters approved bonds for the construction of a new two-story school building.
Today, Peabody Magnet High School is one of two high schools in Rapides Parish with magnet concentrations, the other being Pineville High School.
Peabody's program includes classes in engineering studies, pre-law, media communications, medical studies, animation design and other areas.
Its athletic teams are known as the "Warhorses", and wear green and white team colors.
For more information, we recommend a visit the official Peabody High School website.
Peabody Magnet High School, Alexandria, Louisiana