Menard Memorial High School, Alexandria, LouisianaMenard Memorial High School

The memories remain with us to this day, 50 years later. The high school has moved, and evolved, and grown at its new campus on Highway 28 West. But the memories of Menard Memorial High School on Elliott Street remain for many of us...

We remember Latin I and II with Brother Max. Geometry with Brother Ray. English with Brother Donnan. "The Billy Cannon", and the "5, 5, and 5 system". Brother Max leading cheers at the morning assembly outside. The boarders. The Rec Hall. The Green Hornet. Handball courts. The canteen. The closet-size bookstore. The Confraternity. The Menardian. Brother Julius and his long years of service. Typing class on non-electric typewriters. $15 a month tuition. Brother Marion and the Civil Air Patrol Squadron. The day the announcement was made at school that President Kennedy had been shot. Senior retreats over to Maryhill in Pineville. And so much more.

And we remember the Brothers of the Sacred Heart. And their devotion to "Ametur Cor Jesu", and their prayers for the glorification of Brother Polycarp. We remember their stringent academics, high standards, and strict discipline, and the good example they set for all of us. We remain appreciative of their work to this day, and have not forgotten the life experiences they taught us.

The work of the Brothers of the Sacred Heart continues today around the world.

Just down Elliott Street was the all-girls Catholic school, Providence Central High School.

Brothers of the Sacred HeartThanks to Sam Damico for creating a visit to the St. Stanislaus School Cemetery at Bay Saint Louis ... this is a true tribute to just a few of the many Brothers that we all remember from the 1950s-60s that served at Menard Memorial.

If you have any photos or memorabilia about Menard Memorial to share, please email them to photos@alexandria-louisiana.com, along with a brief explanation: where, when, who, etc.

The Campus

Menard Memorial High School in the early 1950s
The Main Building

This is an early photo of Menard Memorial High School on 1900 Elliott Street, built by Randy Ball's grandfather. Note the dirt street at the time of photo.

The site on Elliott between 19th Street and 20th Street was purchased for a cost of $10,000. E. Leo Ball of Alexandria was employed to prepare plans on March 30, 1924. J.P. McCann & Son of Baton Rouge was awarded the bid for construction at a cost of $63,443 (unfurnished).

On July 6, 1924, the school was named in honor of Father L. Menard, and construction began on July 21.

Classes started on January 6, 1925, and continued through the 1965-66 school year. The first principal was Brother Humbert.

An early photo of Menard Memorial High School on 1900 Elliott Street, Alexandria, Louisiana
Photo Courtesy of Randy Ball

 

The "Rec" Hall

Located to the rear of the Main Building, and included the Canteen

The "Rec" Hall to the rear of the Main Building

The Boarders Dormitory

West side of campus

The Boarders Dormitory, west side of campus

The basketball and handball courts

Northeast corner of campus

The basketball and handball courts

The Cafeteria

East side of campus

The Cafeteria, east side of campus
The Cafeteria, east side of campus

Life On Campus

Life on Campus

Life on Campus of Menard Memorial High School
between classes at Menard Memorial High School
Homecoming parade, Menard Memorial High School, 1957
Life on campus ... the boarders dormitory
Students heading to class, 1957
Menard Memorial students heading to class, 1957
Coaching Staff, early 1960s
Menard Memorial Coaching Staff, circa 1964

Civil Air Patrol

For many years, Menard Memorial was a participant in the Civil Air Patrol (CAP). Menard's squadron of cadets was headed by Brother Marion in the late 1950s when these photos were taken.

During the 1958-59 school year, Menard's drill team served as the honor guard for then Vice President Richard Nixon when he came to Chenault AFB in Lake Charles to dedicate the Strategic Air Command Bomber Wing.

Menard Memorial's Civil Air Patrol cadets

Menard Memorial's Civil Air Patrol cadets

Civil Air Patrol

CapAlex Volume 1, Number 1, March 3, 1958

Click on individual pages to the right to view JPG versions

View all four pages in PDF format

Provided courtesy of David Blalock

click on any page to enlarge
The graduating class of 1964, assembled at Our Lady of Prompt Succor Church
The graduating class of 1964, assembled at Our Lady of Prompt Succor Church

Memorabilia

The Menard Eagle

During the 1933-34 school year, Menard's colors were changed from purple and gold to green and white, and the mascot was changed from Bulldogs to Eagles.

The Menard Eagle

Let's Go Eagles button

Let's Go Eagles!

Menard Memorial High School class ring

Menard Memorial High School class ring

Menard Memorial High School

Baseball "AA" State Champions again! - 1960

Bumper sticker

Menard Memorial High School - Baseball "AA" State Champions again! - 1960 - bumper sticker

Menard Memorial High School

Window envelope

Menard Memorial High School window envelope

The Drifter

Volume 2, Number 1. October 8, 1962

The Drifter, published by Menard Memorial High School, 1962

Student Directory, issued each year by the Menard Key Club

Shown, 1963-1964 edition

Student Directory, issued each year by the Menard Key Club

Student Directory, issued each year by the Menard Key Club

The "Menardian" School Yearbook

Shown, 1957 and 1964 editions

The "Menardian" School Yearbook for 1957 ... click to enlarge
The "Menardian" School Yearbook for 1964 ... click to enlarge

Typical Menard Memorial High School graduation invitation of the 1960s

Typical Menard Memorial High School graduation invitation of the 1960s