CHRISTUS St. Frances Cabrini Hospital in Alexandria
CHRISTUS St. Frances Cabrini Hospital, located at 3330 Masonic Drive in Alexandria, is a 241-bed facility employing approximately 1,600 associates and a medical staff of over 325 physicians. CHRISTUS Cabrini offers comprehensive inpatient and outpatient services and is accredited by the Joint Commission.
In addition to the services available on the main hospital campus, Cabrini provides medical care and health education in 14 school-based health centers in five parishes and in the Cabrini Family Care Unit, a mobile clinic servicing rural areas, in Central Louisiana.
It offers a wide range of health services, including the Cancer Center, Cardiovascular Services, Women and Children Services, Breast Health Center, Day Surgery, Sleep Center, Community Services, Emergency Department and Minor Care Intensive Care Unit/Critical Care Unit, and more.
In 1999 St. Frances Cabrini Hospital became part of CHRISTUS Health System as the Sisters of Charity Health System and the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word Health System were consolidated.
For more information, visit the Christus-Cabrini website.
The Hospital Over the Years
On December 22, 1946, on the feast of St. Frances Xavier Cabrini, ground was broken for the St. Frances Cabrini Hospital in Alexandria. When he was a child, Bishop Greco of the Diocese of Alexandria met Mother Cabrini, so it gave him great pleasure to have in his diocese this first major Catholic institution dedicated to the first canonized citizen of the United States.
The cornerstone was blessed and laid on October 21, 1949. The $3 million, 126-bed hospital was opened on the feast of St. Joseph, March 19, 1950.
Responding to the needs of a growing community, an expansion program was initiated in 1965. In 1969, a six-story addition was built, increasing the hospital's capacity to 254 beds.
Today, it is known as CHRISTUS St. Frances Cabrini Hospital, and is still located at the corner of Masonic Drive and Texas Avenue in Alexandria.
Other major medical facilities in the Alexandria area include: